Get the printer size you need
The BOD2 modular truss structure solves two large issues within 3D construction printing:
- All projects are different sizes and shapes and with the modular build BOD2, the printer can be configured exactly to each project.
- The 3D printer can be upscaled and downscaled to suit larger and smaller projects that you may have in your pipeline.
- The light weight combined with the incredible stiffness of the steel truss structure guarantees a rigid, sturdy construction that will endure rough treatment and ensure stable and reliable printing year after year.
Achieve smooth walls
The re-engineered tangential steel nozzle enables an unprecedented dimension of control of the surface quality and texture. By continuously following the movement direction of the printhead, the nozzle has the functionality of smoothing or texturing the walls as it prints. The combination of tangential control and flaps allows for the following advantages:
- Reducing the amount of plastering and post-treatment of walls.
- Reducing water evaporation by minimizing wall surface area.
- Smoothen the printed layer and layers below creating an aligned and straight wall ready for plastering.
Unprecedented print speed
The BOD2 3D printer is the fastest 3D construction printer on the market, with a print speed of up to 1000 mm/s. Without a safety fence, the printer can be operated at speeds of up to 250 mm/s. For faster speeds, a safety fence needs to be installed to comply with EU certification. The speed makes the technology even more competitive compared to traditional construction technology.
3-4 operators needed
The BOD2 concrete printer only needs to be manned by three to four operators when printing. We suggest a team of a printer operator, a materials operator, a materials operator helper, and a hands-on helper. The same team can also be trained to install and uninstall the 3D printer on-site with the help of a crane.
The ease of use and minimal manning lowers the labor costs significantly and optimizes the efficiency of the construction site.
Freedom of choice of materials
To ease the process of compliance with industry standards as well as open up to a wider spectre of materials, the BOD2 has been developed to print with a wide range of materials. This also enables our customers to use materials that are approved by local authorities. The extruder can handle up to 10 mm aggregates and thus print with real concrete and not just mortars.
Easy change of print nozzles
Quick release nozzle system allows for easy change between nozzles in less than 2 minutes and for printing various layer widths (20-100 mm possible) and layer heights (10-40 mm possible).
- Optional tangential control (software and hardware) secures that the print head follows the print direction, resulting in printing straight and smooth walls.
Highest quality specifications
- Motors and drivers are made in Germany and are of the highest quality components.
- All steel trusses are made with very tough and durable S355 steel.
- All parts of the 3D printer are made according to IP66 for outdoor heavy-duty usage and are safe to use in wet environments.
- The proprietary slicer follows the industrial standard G-code and converts CAD files to 3D printable files in minutes, which removes the need for robotic programming.
- The sensor mapping compensates for slabs that are not entirely even.
- The web interface assures user and touch screen friendly control of the printer via WiFi or ethernet across all devices.
- 2 cameras are mounted on the printhead providing live monitoring of the print on all controlling devices.
Completely safe, eu and UL certified
- The BOD2 is equipped with 8 emergency stops.
- All trusses below 5 meter are covered by shieldings to avoid pinching, fingers getting stuck, etc.
- The complete BOD2 3D construction printer has been CE certified.
- Without a safety fence, the printer can be operated at speeds of up to 250 mm/s. For faster speeds, a safety fence needs to be installed to comply with EU certification.
- Due to the above the BOD2 printer is fully compliant with the EU machine and robot directive.
Flexible material feeding options
- Printhead hopper: Small batches of concrete can be manually fed directly into the printhead hopper via the opening on the side of it. – Useful for testing new materials
- Mixer-pump: For prints requiring a continuous flow of large amounts of concrete, we recommend using a mixer- pump that supplies the concrete to the printhead via a hose.
- Reservoir: Stopping and starting printing/extrusion at any point is possible, which is needed when printing walls with openings for doors and windows.
Print on uneven surfaces
When printing on an uneven or poorly levelled surface, the printer measures the distance to the foundation and collects the data in a “height map”. When printing the first layers, the printer can automatically compensate for these uneven surfaces, layer by layer, until the resulting print is completely level. This will ensure a level top wall even for very uneven foundations.
With its unique modular design, the BOD2 3D construction printer is the perfect solution for a wide variety of 3D construction printing jobs. The combined experience from years of field research and use of the printer worldwide assures a fully tested and tried 3D printer.
At COBOD we develop 3D concrete printer solutions ready for a wide range of application areas with different requirements. From smaller residential projects over commercial buildings to larger industrial applications like 3D printed wind turbine towers with extraordinary strength and reinforcements needed.
Engineered for the industry
The BOD2 is not a prototype. It is the result of delivering more than 50 printers in the past 3 years. All parts of the printer are made from high-quality materials and are carefully engineered to meet the high requirements of the construction industry both in terms of speed, stability, and durability.
The COBOD Configurator
Build your own 3D printer with our COBOD Configurator.
Gantry vs. robotic arm
Read our white paper on the differences between gantry and robotic arm 3D printer systems.
Advanced hose management system
Based on customer feedback, a new hose management system was developed and implemented which completely removes the need for any user interaction and increases productivity even more. Instead of having the concrete hose drape over a suspended pulley, the new system uses cable chains to ensure the hose always moves with the printhead – even when moving far away from the concrete pump. The new materials delivery system eliminates the need for user interaction with heavy hoses. The new system is modular and can be retrofitted to all existing machines.